This smooth avocado salsa is the perfect combination of creamy and spicy that marries together perfectly, and you’d never know that it was dairy-free! Thanks to the zucchini and avocado, this combination creates a smooth, creamy texture that is irresistible. The Jalapeno adds a nice kick of spice and can be easily swapped with serrano peppers depending on your preference.
Even though the zucchini, onion, and garlic are cooked, combining with the fresh avocado and cilantro makes this salsa taste fresh. The addition of the white vinegar brightens the flavor of this salsa and helps “preserve” the avocado and prevent it from browning.
It’s important to let this salsa sit and chill for a few hours or overnight for the flavors to develop fully. It will last for a couple of days if it is stored in an airtight container and refrigerated.
Avocado: This fruit is packed with vitamins, nutrients, potassium, and fiber, along with healthy fats such as oleic acid, which is also found in Olive Oil and is believed to be the shining compound of avocados that make it so heart-healthy, cholesterol-lowering, and anti-inflammatory.
Zucchini: Zucchini contains many vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds, which are enhanced (especially Vitamin A) during the cooking process. Since zucchini is mostly water and fiber, this vegetable can help with digestion in several different ways.
Jalapeno: A compound called capsaicin gives jalapenos (and other peppers) that signature spicy taste. Jalapenos can help aid weight loss due to their impact on increasing metabolism. Although it may sound counterintuitive, the capsaicin in Jalapeno’s can help prevent stomach ulcers by keeping H. pylori in check.
Cilantro: This popular culinary herb is either loved or hated, but despite how it tastes to you, it is loaded with health benefits, including helping the body detoxify heavy metals, settle digestive issues, lower blood sugar, and in some instances, protect against food poisoning.
I guarantee this creamy avocado salsa will be a hit, and since it’s so easy to make and takes just a few ingredients, you can keep this salsa on hand all the time to top your favorite tacos serve with eggs or omelets, or only as a healthy snack.
Dairy-Free Creamy Avocado Salsa
- ½ Zucchini peeled
- ¼ White Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ½ Large Avocado
- 2 Serrano or Jalapeno Peppers de-seeded depending on heat preference
- 1 – ½ tbsp Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 spring Cilantro or more to taste
- Salt to taste
- Peel the zucchini and de-seed the pepper (leaving some seeds for more spice).
- Add the zucchini, white onion, garlic, and pepper to a small saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the zucchini is fork-tender.
- Remove from heat and remove the ingredients and add to a blender, along with the remaining ingredients and ⅓ – ⅔ cup of the cooking liquid (you may need to add more later depending on desired consistency). Season with salt to taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.